Holiday Jewellery: The Protecting Eye of Fatma


(Evil Eye by Dana Levy)

Firstly, apologies to my readers for the lack of posts over the past few weeks. You can blame two holidays to Greece and Turkey.

Anyone who knows Fashion Editor, knows she is obsessed with jewellery. Specifically, The Protecting Eye of Fatma, aka the Turkish evil eye.

The legend goes that The Eye takes its colour from the eye of the prophet Fatma, who lost one of her eyes due to the looks of jealous people. Since then, Turks have used the symbol to protect their newborn babies from evil looks, jealousy, illness and bad luck in love. The Turks then wear them all their lives to protect themselves from evil.

Fashion Editor's obsession with The Eye catapulted after discovering Dana Levy's beautiful handcrafted designs at Liberty (I've worn Dana's evil eye glass bead bracelets eveyday since I first shot them back in October.) I'm hooked, and top up my collection whenever I can and what better destination for authentic evil eyes is there than Turkey and Greece?

Here is just a selection of some of the gems I've picked up in Athens, Hydra and Turkey over the past six weeks or so. I found the necklace in a tiny shop on the island of Hydra, Greece. The red, turquoise and black waxed cotton evil eye strands were only about 50p each in Turkey. Measuring nearly a metre long, they can be fashioned into wraparound bracelets, anklets and necklaces. The rings, although not evil eye, are just so beautiful I had to share them! I plan to layer them up on my middle finger and pinky.



To read all about Fashion Editor's trip to Athens and Hydra with jewellery brand Folli Follie, see The Style Traveller, a blog by Elle magazine's Bonnie Rakhit.


(Fashion Editor in Athens: photo by Bonnie Rakhit of thestyletraveller.com)



Buy Dana Levy jewellery online at danalevy.co.uk

Share


Labels: , ,